Our Lady of Lourdes, Carnforth
Our Lady of Lourdes is the small Catholic Parish that serves Carnforth, a market town and civil parish in the city of Lancaster at the north-east end of Morecambe Bay. Carnforth is situated around 7 miles north of Lancaster and 17 miles south of Kendal.
The town is also close to the Cumbria/Lancashire border and grew in the 19th century through the presence of the railway and ironworks. Due to the closeness of the coast and the hills, Carnforth remains a popular base for walkers and cyclists exploring the local area.
The current church of our Lady of Lourdes, Carnforth replaced an earlier temporary building of 1926. The architect was W. C. Mangan of Preston. The church is in a modern Romanesque style and is a contemporary with Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, though is architecturally old-fashioned for its time. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Foley in 1966 and the church opened by the Bishop on 30 July 1967.